Sunday, April 25, 2010

Farewell my Ginger, until we meet again

Friday evening, 2 weeks after her passing, we laid my Ginger's remains to rest. It was a beautiful spring evening, clear and cool with a slight breeze. My husband and I accompanied by DB,Banshee and Snoopy went down the hill towards the drainage pond, I riding the lawnmower, carrying Ginger's ashes, my husband on the tractor with the new red plum tree, my husband then dug the hole to plant the tree while I and the 3 dogs watched and I explained to them what we were doing. When the hole was ready I spread about half Ginger's ashes, my husband planted the tree, I added one of Ginger's all time favorite treats (peanut butter pretzel nuggets), said St Francis' prayer, then gave the 3 canine mourners a dog bone biscuit. We then proceeded, singing 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot' ,  around the property, to Ginger's favorite spots ... by the wild plum trees, the persimmon tree, the acorn trees up front ... at each spot I sprinkled ashes and we talked about Ginger's life and how happy we were to have had her in our family (if only for so short a time)... and how she would now be a part of the land she loved so much ... and how we would all be together again one day. I kept a small portion of her ashes to keep inside the house, with her collar fastened around the box. We concluded with the Nunc Dimittis (Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace according to thy word.For mine eyes have seen thy salvation.) and the old hymn 'Abide with me' as we went back to the trailer. The sun was just setting as we finished.

I still feel Ginger's spirit with me, I think I always will. She was indeed a glorious dog, sent to grace our lives for too short a time, and her sweetness and dignity throughout her illness have been an inspiration to me ... she brought home to me the most important of all lessons, to live each day with love and joy, to thank God for every hour and every minute. Here's to you, my Ginger, dancing with the angels now ... dance on, my sweet red girl, until we meet again.

--
Mary Lou
DB,Banshee, Snoopy(dogs)
Ginger in spirit (2005-04/09/10)
Damcat
Callie in spirit (04/90-06/07)
http://marylouandcompanions.blogspot.com/
http://gingeroftheflyingears.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. You certainly understand and have acted out the power of ritual. Getting to read about it was both touching and a privilege. Thank you for letting me and us all follow along with you, your entire household and Ginger the past months -- up to and including the planting of Ginger's tree and that one last circuit of the property. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete