Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday March 26

AM update: Ginger is not doing well this AM. Went to kennels, she was still in her house instead of at the door. She came out, let other dogs out, she did not run off down the hill, she is quivering again, she followed me down the hill, and did eat 1 treat. I took dogs back up and fed and kenneled. Ginger ate a little bit of breakfast. I am alone here, my husband took workers into town, he should be back soon. I am taking Ginger to the vet, I am so afraid, this is exactly what happened when she first got sick, one day she was fine the next she wouldnt eat. And the quivering, I know thats a sign of pain. Oh my sweet brave red girl.

Evening update: Got to vet about 10 AM. First I called and they said call the oncologist so I called and they said take her in for bloodwork and exam and have it FAXed. Was at local vet all day. Ginger shivering uncontrollably, constant tremors. She had a fever of 104 when we got there. They drew blood and gave her back to me, we walked around outside as she shivered less when moving. They said the shiivering was the fever, not pain as she did not flinch from any touching. Whe I brought her inside I wet paper towels and put o her belly which seemed to give some relief. (Oh I wish I'd thought to take her temp last night, it didn't even occur to me ....) Bloodwork only showed elevated liver enzymes, calcium and renal OK. WBC OK. Took Xrays of chest as her breathing was labored, and abdomen. FAXed all to oncologist. Local vet showed me Xrays, lymph nodes in chest OK, no fluid in lungs, abdominal lymph nodes enlarged but no more than before. By this point her fever was 105, put her on IV fluids and antibiotics until heard back from oncologist. Then took husband to chiropractor his back is severely out, he fell backwards yesterday evening (long story, was dragging a 90 lb bag of dirt and tripped backwards over a cement block). Ate sandwich. Got call from oncologist he had looked at bloodwork, his feeling was two possibilities that could cause the fever, could be the lymph nodes have turned necrotic (apparently if lymph nodes are enlarged like this the blood doesnt flow through them and they decay from the inside), or, there is a secondary bacterial infection that doesnt show on bloodwork (he said it is possible for infection not to show on blodwork if it is localized or if it is recent), only possible thing to do is try the IV fluid and antibiotics and see if her fever comes down. He said the shivering was fever, not pain, as she didnt show indications of pain (pawing-licking at her side, or reacting to palpation) Back to local vet, discussed with him he had also talked to oncologist. Decided to leave Ginger at vet overnight to continue IV fluids and antibiotics. Local vet did say I could take her home, as they don't do IVs past 6 PM, but they do have someone check the animals every 2 hours overnight, and if she got a shivering spell again they could give her a shot of sedative , which I couldnt do at home . She was more comfortable when I left around 5, not shaking all over at least, barely recognized me and husband, but finally wagged her tail, but fever had not gone down. I HATED leaving her there but thought it'd be best for her .  In AM if fever comes down it possibly is infection and I'd then keep up the IVs. If not, then its the cancer turned necrotic and thats the end of the road.  Thank you for your prayers and support during the day, I was away from my computer so I got them this evening when I got home (after I took te other dogs who had been kenneled all day for a run and fed and kenneled them again) and I know that your prayers kept me AND Ginger going through this difficult day .... and it was a great blessing to come home and read your messages ....


-----
Mary Lou
DB,Banshee,Ginger and Snoopy(dogs)
Damcat
Callie in spirit (04/90-06/07)
http://marylouandcompanions.blogspot.com/
http://gingeroftheflyingears.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment