Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ginger update Thurs Jan.14

hurs Jan.14

Called oncologist Today in AM, talked to vet tech, said they'd done
blood work and the calcium level was down a little bit but all other
labs the same, including kidney and liver. So she is still in renal
failure. Tech said she had eaten a little last night and in AM, has
had 1 course of chemo, said they walked her outside and she was a
little 'brighter' (shes been on IV fluid since I left her there
yesterday). Called again around 530, talked to vet. She has stopped
eating. She still 'alerts' wags her tail when people come in the room
her kennel is in. He is now saying she  may have some kind of
underlying kidney disease, since she is so small for an Irish setter
and we know nothing of her parentage it may be congenital. He said
wait and see how the bloodwork is tomorrow.  I got the impression that dogs
usually respond to the chemo faster, my recollection of what he originally said
was often within a few hours, at the latest within 2 days, the calcium going
down shows some response but I gathered (you know how doctors are) that
he is very worried about the renal function and mainly worried that she is not
eating (as an indicator that she doesnt feel better) My heart is aching thinking
of leaving her alone up there, I wish I could tell her somehow I havent
abandoned her. Poor Ginger has been abandoned by her guardians so many
times, and here it must look like to her I've gone and done it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment