Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday Feb.9

Not raining yet this AM, had a good run, took off Ginger's sweatshirt
again as it's fairly warm out... gave AM meds, fed and kenneled, went
to work, husband let out again and reports all was fine. He then had
to take my car to the shop, again ... this time it's the 'intake
manifold gasket', and at that one dealer they've backordered for 800
other cars. Had to go to chiropractor, then home, then of course it
starts raining. husband let out dogs while I fixed food, he let them
out in the 'wrong order' and Snoopy jumped Banshee (no injuries that I
can see, and I checked her out thoroughly) . I guess everyone human
and animal is a bit on edge... The normal routine for the dogs is
after I leave they get to hang out with my husband and worker(s) and
its either been raining or workers sick or husband has to go somewhere
for about a week now. I've been very impressed with how well
DB,Banshee and Snoopy have been 'handling' all of this, the extra
'attention' given to Ginger, the need (at first) to be very careful
not to let her overexert herself, the funny sweatshirt she wears,
they've been amazingly cooperative, kind and gentle ... I reckon
Snoopy just 'snapped' this evening (and I never let her out before
Banshee, as she tends to go to Banshee's kennel door and get 'in her
face', and Banshee has space issues ... she doesn't like to disembark
from the car if all the other dogs are pressing around the door, for
example .) And yes, for my cyber friends who are experienced dog
teachers, I know this is management not teaching, and I had been
working on teaching both Snoopy and Banshee coping skills, and they
have come a LONG way in the past year, but my teaching 'time' has been
greatly cut into by the time needed to fight Ginger's battle with the
beast... so don't be too hard on me.)

Ginger has always been the 'softest' and sweetest dog in my pack,
indeed, I have never had a less aggressive dog ... Irish setters tend
to be very sweet natured, but even my Irishes in the past would have
'moments' ... but Ginger, I have never heard her growl, or seen her
lift her lip, or make ANY 'back off' signals to her pack mates (or to
the Damcat, except over the 'liver water' ... and that was just
planting her head firmly in the bowl and not letting Damcat near it)
... even the other day, when the Damcat was tormenting the other dogs
through the glass door and my husband inadvertently opened the door
and Ginger rushed to the Damcat's rescue ... all she did was put
herself between the other dogs and the Damcat, no snarling, no
barking. Ah, I will miss my Ginger when she has left this plane of
existence, but her sweet spirit will live on in my memories.

She has now eaten an egg, some canned dog food (Wellness CORE) and
taken her evening meds, and is lying at my feet, on her back, all 4
legs in the air, snoring... ah, sweet music to my ears...

I can never thank you enough for your prayers and support that have
helped bring Ginger 'back from the brink' and given us more time
together


-----
Mary Lou
DB,Banshee,Ginger and Snoopy(dogs)
Damcat
Callie in spirit (04/90-06/07)
http://marylouandcompanions.blogspot.com/
http://gingeroftheflyingears.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment